Victorian Minister for Industry Energy and Resources, Lily DAmbrosio, says the caravan and camping industry is a refreshing good news story.
The new minister launched the biggest and certainly the best representation of the abilities of the caravan industry at Melbourne Showgrounds for the first time with comments which point to a positive attitude on caravanning and camping. She noted that theindustry is worth $1.4 billion per annum and employs more than 5000 people.
Expenditure by caravanning and camping consumers is 7 billion annually andthe economic value of the industry amounts to $17.44 billion annually.
Caravan Trade and Industries Chief Executive Officer, Robert Lucas, said today that seven million Australians have had caravan or camping experiences in the last two years.
Lily DAmbrosio identified the caravan industry as an opportunity and model to help revive Victorias manufacturing structure in the face of the downturn in automobile building. 85 percentof all RV products are manufactured in Victoria (20,000+ units per annum).
Lily D'Ambrosio Min.for Industry Energy and Resources.
Lily DAmbrosio is the Member for Mill Park. In November 2014 with the election of the Andrews Labor Government, she was appointed Minister for Industry, Energy Resources.
She joined the ALP in 1983 and was involved in many community campaigns including support for local jobs for the northern suburbs, fair pay and conditions for women in work, better public transport, decent schools and well paid skilled jobs for young people.
D'Ambrosio is a member of Labor women's network Emily's List and the Union of Australian Women. She is married to Deakin University academic and author, Andrew Scott, with two children.
CIAVic President Peter May and CEO Robert Lucas are already talking to the minister about developing the already leading manufacturing role Victoria plays in Australias caravan, camping and Recreational Vehicle industry.
Peter May said at the Melbourne Supershow launch the he is excited.
His comment must rank among the understatements of the year thus far. The Supershow is a massive undertaking with many new and as yet largely unknown challenges.
Caravan Trade and Industries Chief Executive Officer Robert Lucas said:
VICTORIAN INDUSTRY (TRADE)
- 85% of all RV products are manufactured in Victoria (20,000+ units per annum).
- 70% of all RV Manufacturers reside in Victoria.
-The industry is worth $1.4 billion per annum.
- Over 5000 employees.
- 800 Trade businesses.
- 131,000 caravans and RV products are registered in Victoria (largest fleet in Australia).
- The industry contributes $453 million in salaries directly into the Victoria economy.
- AUSTRALIAN STATS (INDUSTRY RESEARCH)
- 85% of Australians have gone caravanning and camping at least once in their life
- 7 million Australians have had caravanning or camping experience in the past 2 years.
- Campervans and Motorhomes travelled 607 million kilometres in 2010.
- The biggest user group is 35-49 years old, making up 50% of travel in the sector
- 90% of all site nights (camping) in the sector are in regional Australia
- Expenditure by caravanning and camping consumers is 7 billion annually
- The economic value of the industry amounts to $17.44 billion annually.
- As of 31st January 2013, there are 528,869 caravans and motorhomes registered for on road use in Australia. This is an increase of 27% since 2008
- In the year ending 31st January 2013, caravans experienced the largest growth of any vehicle type in Australia.
Acknowledgement This Information Article is provided through the support of generous sponsor Caravan Industry Association of Victoria (CIA Vic.). This support covers story research costs.
It is because of sponsors like CIA Vic. that an extensive library of free Information Articles is available to help users Go Make Some Memories. Click to find road touring destinations two and three hours from Melbourne. Go Make Some Memories
CIAVic President Peter May (centre) is so excited.
CIAVic CEO Rob Lucas is revved up.